Digital Nomad • (315) 278-3222 • email@example.com
Portfolio: Portfolio tab in Navigation
WithumSmith+Brown lead consultant with a Masters in Anthropology, emphasis in Archaeology and Geographic Information Systems (GIS), specializing in Power BI, GIS, geospatial visualizations, analytics, marketing, and creativity. Experience gained from GIS coursework, graduate projects, Business Intelligence + Analytics internship/Power BI specialist with AccuWeather, a global leader in digital media with award winning apps, websites, and marketing, and Power BI consultant with Ovation Travel. Lead consultant with proven ability to produce results in a fast-paced environment with critical deadlines. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including clear explanations of the technical aspects of archaeology, GIS, and Power BI. Creatively talented in translating big data and analytics into compelling visualizations for internal departments and clients. Analytical problem solver with the ability to quickly grasp complex concepts. Learns quickly and enjoys challenging projects. Works well independently as well as collaboratively in a team environment. A highly motivated employee who is able to work creatively and diligently to achieve goals in a timely fashion.
ArcGIS•Microsoft (Office, Power BI, Dynamics CRM/365, Project Online)• Qlik View•Tableau•Mac iOS•Windows•Adobe XI•Photoshop•DAX•Practice Engine•QGIS•GRASS
Wichita State University, Wichita, Kansas • May 2017 • GPA 4.0
Master of Arts in Anthropology, Focusing on Archaeology and GIS
Relevant Courses and Training: ArcGIS, Advanced ArcGIS, Advanced Spatial Analysis, Geology Field Mapping Methods, Advanced Archaeological Theory and Methods, Advanced Seminar in Archaeology (lithic analysis), Total Station Training, Archaeology Field Training, Canvas 11 with GIS
Wichita State University, Wichita, Kansas • May 2009
Bachelor of Arts in History
University of Maryland - College Park, College Park, Maryland • 2003 to 2005
Chemistry, Chinese History and Chinese Language
WithumSmith+Brown, Bethesda, Maryland • September 2017 to Present
Microsoft BI Lead Consultant specializing in custom Power BI reports and dashboards.
• Providing clients creating custom production level Power BI Reports and Dashboards that replicate reporting in other softwares including Tableau.
• Exploring the use of GIS to provide greater understanding and better visualization of client data.
• Creating custom Power BI templates for use with Practice Engine, Microsoft data sources, and more.
Ovation Travel, New York, New York • July 2017 to October 2017
Power BI Consultant
Ovation contracted me to build a Proof of Concept / replicate Tableau dashboards in Microsoft Power BI so that the company can compare the two software systems for functionality, customization, and potential cost savings to switching from Tableau to Power BI.
• Currently creating custom production level Power BI Reports and Dashboards that replicate in-production Tableau dashboards.
• Providing usability and visual enhancements to the travel sales data as examples of what sets Power BI apart from other data visualization tools.
• Exploring the use of GIS to provide greater understanding and better visualization of the travel sales data.
AccuWeather, Inc., Wichita, Kansas • August 2016 to October 2017
Power BI Specialist, formerly Business Intelligence + Analytics Intern
My primary responsibility is supporting my team on mapping projects and data visualization that utilize ArcGIS, Microsoft Power BI, and Qlik. Beyond mapping and creating compelling visuals, I help the Analytics team, and multiple AccuWeather business units like digital media and marketing, with a variety of tasks ranging for academia-like research, developing compelling visuals, and presenting our data visualizations. I have also standardized the AccuWeather Analytics team and Enterprise Solutions' presentations for use by my team, the Enterprise Sales team, and meteorologists to make sure AccuWeather shines visually in front of prospective and current clients.
• Currently creating custom Power BI Reports and Dashboards to incorporate and automate Dynamics CRM and Project Online reporting. Specifically, highly useful and visually pleasing reporting to be used by AccuWeather executives, department heads, Sales staff, and Project Management staff.
• Saved AccuWeather 30% of cost, and helped fast track a third-party company hired to develop a social media marketing campaign, Winter Warrior Challenge, to generate interest in a new Analytics/Big Data joint venture with Microsoft. Please see winterwarrior.accuweather.com.
• AccuWeather D3 Express Powered by Microsoft was built off my Power BI dashboards/reports. Only reason Power BI was not used in the final iteration was due to data limitations of Esri’s ArcGIS extension. Launches May 10, 2017 at d3.accuweather.com.
• Standardization of presentations for my team, the Enterprise Solutions' Sales team, and meteorologists plus training of staff on best practices with the visual component of their presentation, and stressing the importance of using Marketing-approved templates to allow AccuWeather to visually shine in front of prospective and current clients.
• Using proprietary data to map and analyze big data, especially involving weather data, website traffic data, sales, demographics, and more.
• Software and technology experience: Moderate to advanced - ArcGIS, Microsoft (Power BI, Office, Dynamics CRM, Project Online), Qlik View, Mac iOS and Windows, Adobe XI; beginner: Tableau, Python, DAX, SPSS, Photoshop, QGIS, GRASS.
Mitchell & Richards LLC, CPA Firm, Wichita, Kansas • February 2016 to October 2017
Oil & Gas Data Entry Specialist
Support senior CPA’s with clear and comprehensive data analysis based on clients’ Oil & Gas documents including oil well payments, oil well expenses, and confirmation of matched 1099 information. Assisted CPA’s with input, organization, and categorizing relevant customer data to determine potentially missing data.
Wichita State University, Wichita, Kansas • January 2012 to May 2014
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Introductory Archaeology) and Supplemental Instructor (Introductory Biological Anthropology)
• Providing valuable support to Dr. Lisa Overholtzer and Introductory Archaeology as the Graduate Teaching Assistant, including grading, developing assignments, and communicating with students regarding assignments and grades.
• Serving as Dr. David Hughes’ de facto Graduate Teaching Assistant for ArcGIS and Spatial Analysis courses.
• Provide Supplemental Instructor support to Dr. Peer Moore-Jansen and Introductory Biological Anthropology. Developed comprehensive exam study guides to challenge and prepare students for exams, provided guidance on course assignments, and helped students learn and comprehend the course information.
• Assisted students by helping them with various Anthropology department courses (including Archaeology, GIS Spatial Analysis, Biological Anthropology), and provided valuable advice on college career path decisions to undergraduate students.
Geoff Stalker, Northwestern Mutual, Wichita, Kansas • July 2011 to June 2013, February to December 2016
Support Senior Wealth Management Advisor and his financial clients with Northwestern Mutual.
• Manage complex calendar and prepare pertinent materials for client meetings and presentations.
• Develop a social media strategy to better market Geoff Stalker to potential clients and build name recognition.
• Facilitate communication between Mr. Stalker and clients, corporate clients, 401(k)/Investment vendors, potential clients, and SEC compliance while incorporating Dynamics CRM.
• Develop a logical client document filing system, and implementation with both paper and electronic client files to provide better confidential financial support to private and corporate clients.
Hinkle Law Firm L.L.C., Wichita, Kansas • December 2006 to July 2009
Administrative Clerk and Special Projects
Supporting senior member and head of the Employment Law, Employee Benefits and Tax Department in the role of Administrative Clerk (Administrative Assistant). Integral team member for the EGTRRA Restatement of Qualified Retirement Plans.
• Administer complex systems of coding and filing information (both electronically and physically).
• Facilitate spreadsheet and database management for department.
• Maintain accurate, up to date, and comprehensive tables and records.
• Manage business contacts with ACT!, and utilize Open Text’s Hummingbird document management software.
• Generate Employment Benefit documents with SunGard – Relius software.
• Basic understanding of LexisNexis – Juris software.
• Daily use of Microsoft Office (Windows and Mac), Adobe, Word Perfect.
Esri Annual User Conference, San Diego, California • June 27 to July 1, 2016
Learned significantly useful technical skills including spatial and regression analysis methods, useful updates to software, and better understanding of multiple Esri products including Story Maps, Survey123, and Collector.
Central States Anthropological Society, St. Louis, Missouri • April 5, 2013
Presenter and Co-author
Current Archaeological Survey with GIS Mapping of the Tobias Site in Rice County Kansas Compared to Waldo Wedel’s 1940 Survey.
Flint Hills Archaeological Conference, Kansas State University • March 23, 2013
Presenter and Co-author
A Comparative Look at Mapping the Tobias Site from Current Archaeological Survey to Waldo Wedel’s 1940 Survey.
Dean’s Honor Roll, Wichita State University – Spring 2008, Spring 2011
Dean’s List, Syracuse University – Fall 2002, Spring 2003
Academic Commendation, Wichita State University – Fall 2006, Fall 2008
Kansas Association of Mappers, Lawrence, Kansas
Lambda Alpha Anthropology Honors Society, Wichita State University
Anthropology Club, Wichita State University